Sunday 17 April 2011

Duelling Green Hairstreaks

"Sunbathing?" Green Hairstreak, Ringstead, Norfolk Green Hairstreak, Ringstead, Norfolk A beautiful sunny Sunday afternoon saw me slowly walking around Wharton's Belt. This corner of Courtyard Farm has been a reliable local spot for Green Hairstreaks for me and I wanted to grab the opportunity that today's warm temperature's offered to catch up with this early butterfly. Never easy to spot, their green wings merge well with the spring leaves, I spent a fruitless 40 minutes slowly pacing along a drove before finally on my return walk I spotted a couple of insects about 30 feet in the air, tumbling in circles as they fought for territory. Occasionally even without binoculars and at this distance I could see the green pigments in their leaves catch the light and eventually my patience was rewarded when one settled on a leaf. It then did something I not noticed before it quickly flattened its wing on the leaf in what looked like an attempt to sunbathe or perhaps to make it less visible to its rival? I managed a couple of long distance record shots which I have added to this blog. If I get another chance perhaps on a cooler day I will have another go at photographing these dainty little creatures. Also present here were Speckled Wood, Green Veined White, Orangetip, Brimstone, and Holly Blue. Had Buzzard and Sparrowhawk over and lots of singing Blackcaps and Chiff Chaffs.

No comments: