Thursday 27 October 2011

Autumn mislaid


Jack Snipe, Titchwell, 23 October


Autumn has shot by this year and I seem to have missed all the fun. This has been due to the usual commitments required of a young family so I mustn't grumble too much. And thumbing through my notebook my little grabbed 30 - 60 minute walks have been quite good.


In the very hot weather at the end of end of September I was still seeing Grass Snakes in Ken Hill Wood and on the 30th had a nice second brood White Admiral. The following day sitting on Holme Beach whilst our toddler played in the sand, on a flat calm sea I managed Razorbill, Guillemot, Gannet, Red Throated Diver plus early Brent and Pink Footed Geese. A Weasel running across the access track here was a bonus. As was a late Hummingbird Hawk Moth in a Titchwell garden later that day.

Last weekend a flying visit to Titchwell rewarded me with a brief view of a sleeping Jack Snipe.

With baby number two due to appear in the next few weeks I suspect that early winter will also pass by quickly and with very little field time.

No comments: